Project 1 - Lighting & Acoustic Performance Evaluation and Design
Lighting Design is a primary element in architecture design and interior architecture. Solid volumes, enclosed spaces, colors and texture can only be appreciated fully when they are imaginatively lit. Successful buildings are those in which the lighting of the building itself and the lighting of the activities it contains together make up a unified design concept. This project is design to expose and introduce students to daylighting and lighting requirement in a suggested space.
In architecture and interior architecture, Acoustic DESIGN is an element which concerned with control of sound in spaces especially enclosed spaces. The requirement varies in relation to functional spaces whether it is a cinema, lecture theatre, restaurant and café or acoustical requirements for a meeting room. It is essential to preserve and enhance the desired sound and to eliminate noise and undesired sound. Prestigious buildings are those in which the acoustic of the building itself speak of the quality of the building itself. This project is design to expose and introduce students to acoustic design and acoustical requirements in a suggested space.
1. To understand the day-lighting & lighting and acoustic characteristics & acoustic requirement in a suggested space.
2. To determine the characteristics and function of day-lighting & artificial lighting and sound & acoustic within the intended space.
3. To critically report and analyse the space.
Learning Outcomes :
1. Able to produce a complete documentation on analysis of space in relation to lighting requirement eg. natural and artificial lighting. (Pictures, sketches and drawing) and analysis of factors which effects the lighting design of a space.
2. Explore and apply understanding of building physic eg. Lighting towards building / construction technology and building materials on existing building projects.
3. Able to evaluate and explore the improvisation by using current material and technology in relevance to present construction industry
4. Basic understanding and analysis of lighting layout and arrangements by using certain methods or calculations eg. Lumen method and PSALI.
5. Basic understanding and analysis of acoustic design layout and arrangements by using certain methods or calculations eg. Reverberation time and sound transmission coefficient.
This project aims to integrate students' understanding of the principles of lighting and acoustics in the context their final design project of studio 5. It encompasses advanced daylighting systems and the integration of electrical lighting, strategies for noise management and room acoustics (where necessary).
1. To be able to show understanding of lighting and acoustics principles in their final design.
2. To be able to solve design problems in relation to sustainability issues (natural lighting, site
3. To be able to design spaces incorporating lighting and acoustics (when necessary).
Learning Outcomes :
1. Produce site analysis which document, interpret and analyze the site context in relation to lighting and acoustics.
2. Identify and analyze functional needs through case studies to inform of lighting and acoustics.